Thursday, June 29, 2006

Wolves Get Randy Foye

The Wolves selected Washington's Brandon Roy with the 6th pick in last night's draft.

The Celtics, who had traded their pick to Portland, chose Villanova's Randy Foye with the 7th pick. In a deal set up before the draft pending the remaining players, the Trail Blazers then traded their rights to Foye along with cash considerations to the Wolves for Roy. Foye's salary will be reflective of being the #7 pick.


Foye described the experience as "just nerve wracking."
In the words of Robert Pollard, that's the beauty of the draft.

From Bill Simmons draft day diary:
8:35 -- Tony Bennett reports that Minnesota and Portland are swapping draft picks -- Roy to Portland, Foye to Minnesota. That's it? That's the trade? None of the ESPN guys seem remotely fazed. I knew Kevin McHale couldn't just pick the best guy in the draft without somehow screwing it up. I would have bet my Ndudi Ebi rookie cards on it.

"We were split," said coach Dwane Casey, who got to know Roy well in his 14 years as an assistant with the Sonics. "We've been up there arguing all day. I've known Brandon and I like Randy Foye, so I could have went either way."

"Randy Foye is NBA-ready," Casey said. "There's going to be some things he has to learn as far as being a point guard. But athletically, mentally, physically, he's a young man who has come through a lot."

Patrick Reusse thinks Foye is going to be the team's starting point guard.

Foye on his predraft workout and coming to Minnesota:
"Kevin Garnett was there and watched most of the workout and I talked to Kevin McHale and when I went there and played, I just impressed them," Foye said.
"I did a lot of things that they probably think that I couldn't do. I'm just happy to be a Timberwolf right now."



Wolves Second Round Picks:
#36- Craig Smith (Boston College)
#37- Bobby Jones (Washington)-traded to the Sixers for a future second round pick and cash considerations.
#57- Loukas Mavrokefalidis (PAOK)